Greek-Style Quinoa Salad!
This quinoa dish is a staple in our household. Not only is it delicious, but it comes in super handy when we’re tight on time! I’ll often turn this dish into a full meal by adding a little bit of shredded chicken or steak to it. DELISH!
Quinoa is one of my favourite grains because of it’s MANY health benefits. Adding quinoa to your diet can help boost your metabolism and rid your body of toxins. Here are some other highlights of this “supergrain”:
- Complete protein. Quinoa contains all 9 essential amino acids that are required by the body as building blocks for muscles.
- Magnesium helps relax your muscles and blood vessels and effects blood pressure. Quinoa contains high levels of this vital nutrient.
- Fiber. Quinoa is a wonderful way to ensure that you consume valuable fiber that eases elimination and tones your colon.
- Manganese and copper. Quinoa is a good source of these minerals that act as antioxidants in your body to get rid of dangerous cancer and disease-causing substances.
HOORAY FOR QUINOA! 🙂
3-4 cups vegetable broth
1.5 cups red and white quinoa (you can use just white quinoa, but I love the crunchy texture of red quinoa!)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice from one lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup black olives
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup diced cucumber
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
1 red onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 – 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a medium-large saucepan, cook quinoa in vegetable broth for 15-20 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally
- Allow to cool
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and oregano
- Gently toss quinoa together with the remaining ingredients, except feta
- Pour the olive oil mixture over the quinoa
- Add salt and pepper to taste and gently stir in the feta cheese
- ENJOY!!! 🙂