Clean Lean Lasagna!
I love the ooey-gooey taste of lasagna! The meat… the cheese… the sauce… MMM! The problem is, once I’ve downed a solid slice… I often feel a little sick from the high fat and high calorie content. NO FUN! So… here is a recipe that satisfies my tastebuds without leaving me feeling icky after. I’m sure it’ll do the same for you!!!
1.25 lb extra lean ground turkey meat
1 jar (24 ounces) no salt added tomato sauce
1 large onion, diced
2 cups mushrooms, diced
2 cups fresh or frozen chopped spinach
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp italian seasoning
2 tbsp chili flakes
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 box whole wheat no-boil lasagna noodles
6 large zucchinis cut into 1/8 inch strips
(similar length as the noodles would be)
4-6 eggplants cut into strips
2 cups fat free cottage cheese
8 egg whites
1 – 1.5 cups fat free mozzarella cheese
- Noodle Layer: IF doing the zucchini or eggplant option, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray, arrange eggplant or zucchini slices and season with salt and pepper. Bake slices for 5 minutes on each side, then remove from oven. Set slices aside and lower oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- Meat Sauce Layer: In a large non-stick skillet, cook meat until it’s browned. To the skillet, add the veggies, seasonings, and tomato sauce. Simmer for about 10 minutes, (or until veggies are de-thawed/begin to soften), stirring occasionally.
- Cheese Layer: Mix together cottage cheese and egg whites (save the mozzarella for the top of the lasagna!)
- Putting It Together: Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and spread a few tablespoons of meat sauce at the bottom. Lay down eggplant / zucchini strips or whole wheat noodles and top with a layer of meat sauce, followed by a layer of cheese. Repeat until you get to the top of the tray and finish off with a layer of mozzarella cheese!
- Cover with foil and back for 30 – 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes!
- ENJOY!!! 🙂